When pets run away or get lost, it can be traumatic for the whole family. maricope County Animal Care and Control (CMACC) partnered with petco to help reconnect pets with their owners this July by reuniting them at no cost.
This reconnect happens even faster if your pet has ID. July – which is Lost Pet Prevention Month – is usually one of the busiest at both of our shelters. Here are some simple steps people can follow to find their pets:
- Make sure your pet wears a collar with tags that contain your current contact information.
- Microchip your pet and keep the information up to date.
- Take a clear photo to aid in the search in case they escape.
Many dogs are frightened by fireworks and the noise can cause them to behave erratically.
- Keep them indoors as much as possible this weekend and use a leash if they go outside. Dogs will try to escape from fenced yards if frightened by fireworks.
- Create a safe place where they can hide if they are scared and start helping them associate it with positive things ahead of time by using favorite bedding, toys and treats.
And if they run away, go find them as soon as possible:
- Recruit friends and family members to help you in a search in the piece and online.
- Bring photos or flyers with contact information.
- Use The next door and your social network to let people know your pet is lost.
- Dial 602-372-4598 to create a lost pet declaration.
- Check the stray animal mapping tool on our website to view the reports found and search for a potential match.
- Register your lost pet with petco lost love and use their free facial recognition technology to see potential matches.
- Look for 24PetConnect.com daily for your pet.
Other ways to help
CMACC is committed to the animals in our care and the public is a key partner in returning pets to their homes or finding them new homes. We are always on the lookout for volunteers willing to give free time to the shelters.
Make a donation
CMACC cares for over 500 dogs most days of the year. That’s a lot of necklaces and kibble. Here are the items we constantly need:
- Large, long-lasting chew bones.
- Small sweet treats.
- Great dog collars.
- Durable dog toys.
- New polar blankets.
- Pads for puppies.
- Monday to Friday, noon to 6 p.m.
- Weekend, noon to 5 p.m.
- Holidays (July 4), noon to 4 p.m.
Learn more about pets.maricopa.gov.