L Catterton invests in Alliance Animal Health pet hospital chain
Veterinary hospital operator Alliance Animal Health has secured an investment from private equity firm L Catterton for a valuation of between $ 750 million and $ 800 million, Axios has learned from four sources.
Why is this important: Private equity in 2021 has shown an insatiable appetite for veterinary care.
Details: Existing shareholder LightBay Capital will remain an investor in Alliance.
- The Stamford, Connecticut-based company marketed $ 39 million in pro forma adjusted EBITDA as part of its sale process, sources said. This implies that Alliance has increased its EBITDA five-fold since LightBay backed the company in June 2019, one person added.
- Alliance owns and partners with veterinarians in veterinary hospitals in 15 and growing states, emphasizing medical independence and the benefit of shared resources (e.g. purchasing power).
- L Catterton has a long history of investing in pet and consumer health companies.
The big picture: Own a pet increases, and investors view the veterinary care industry as recession-resistant.
- The U.S. government backed up this notion when it said veterinary practices were essential businesses during the pandemic, and the industry has been shown to be adept at converting to a drop-and-pickup model.
- EBITDA multiples in the upper range to mid-20x are the new normal, although this is a bit complicated by a series of targeted acquisitions.
What we are looking at: The possibility of industry giants’ IPOs in 2022.
- National Veterinary Associates, supported by JAB Investors, was said to be thinking about a public offer earlier this year. More recently, he delved deeper into specialty veterinary care with two deals over $ 1 billion, purchasing Ethos Veterinary Health and SAGE Veterinary Centers.
- European IVC Evidencia was due to apply for a public listing before Silver Lake invests earlier this year, valuing it at around â¬ 12.3 billion (over $ 13.8 billion).
- Pathway Vet Alliance, owned by TSG Consumer Partners, is also on the IPO waiting list.